COLUMBIA, SC (October 15, 2020) – A record number of South Carolinians are voting absentee, both in person and by mail. Based on current trends, more than one million voters will vote before election day.
While in person absentee voting is available through November 2, the deadline to apply for an absentee by mail ballot is quickly approaching. Voters who want to vote by mail in the November 3 General Election need to act now and return their application no later than Saturday, October 24.
2020 General Election Absentee Statistics as of 5:00 p.m., October 15
Total Issued: 637,000 (Record - 517,000 - 2016 GE)
Total Returned: 388,000 (Record - 503,000 - 2016 GE)
In Person Issued/Returned: 221,000 (Record - 370,000 - 2016 GE)
By Mail Issued: 416,000 (Record - 147,000 - 2016 GE)
By Mail Returned: 167,000 (Record - 133,000 - 2016 GE)
Summary and detailed posted twice daily here: https://www.scvotes.gov/fact-sheets
In Person Absentee
Deadline: 5:00 p.m., Monday, November 2
Step 2: Complete an application.
Step 3. Cast your ballot.
Absentee by Mail
Step 2: Complete, sign and return the application to your county elections office by mail, email, fax or personal delivery.
Step 3: Receive your absentee ballot in the mail.
- Sign the voter’s oath on the return envelope.
- Have a witness sign and provide their address. A witness can be any other person.
- Return envelopes are postage-paid.
- It is best to mail your ballot at least a week before election day to help ensure timely delivery.
- You can return your ballot in person or have another person return your ballot for you by completing the authorized returnee form.
- You can NOT return your absentee ballot to your polling place.
- You can check the status of your absentee ballot at scVOTES.gov.